About me

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mama went to church

Mama, being somewhat less than lucid these days, rarely gets out much anymore. She does enough of that in her head, and there's no need for her body to tag along. Nonetheless, someone talked Buck into taking her to church today, and he did. I don't know why. He's a saint, that man.

No one said it was revival. No one said the guest minister used to work under Mama's supervision in security at Data General. But anyone would have said the preacher would get all wound up and rant into overtime.

Then there, there in that overtime plea to surrender another soul to Jesus, my mama stood up and spoke: Would you sit down and shut up?! I want to GO HOME!

Thereupon, my mama, my mama who doesn't remember me much less the man in the pulpit who called her name, Miss Mildred, and pleaded for just a little more time, my mama this morning fulfilled the fantasy of me, my brother, and every other male child who ever endured a Free Will Baptist Sunday morning sermon.

2 comments:

The Crow said...

And every female child who grew up in that culture! I love your Mama.

Fond of you, too. Where you been? I've missed you! Glad to see you back.

Jim Penny said...

It's been a rocky road this year. The heart stuff continued with a second ablation in January. I ran a pair of half marathons the weekend before. I caught pneumonia directly afterwards. The arrhythmia continued off and on. Mostly on, and it the transitions that get me. So I finally ran a Tough Mudder in June, and what we thought was sciatica immediately followed. Two months of treatment offered no resolution. Another x-ray suggested osteo in the hip. I see a doc about that tomorrow. Grandpa is falling apart, it seems. I hope your doing well up there. Or weller than me at least.