About me

Sunday, January 22, 2012

My last pack of Anne's noodles

Meet Anne's Old Fashioned Flat Dumplings, better known as the pastry I use in chicken stew. I cannot count the number of boxes of these I have bought, including the two I picked up yesterday. It's a very good product, and generally better than anything I'd roll out on my own.


Today, I noticed something different.

I do not know how long this has been going on, as I don't spend a great deal of time reading the marketing hyperbole on most packaging. However, I opened the freezer this morning to see if anything had shifted after last night's rearrangement, and this Bible verse with a freakin' prayer line was front and center. 


As you might expect, I maintain a strict separation of church and kitchen in this house, and I'll be using the Anne's competition from now on.

2 comments:

The Crow said...

I always wonder if companies who plaster such things on their goods are advertising their holiness, or using the quote as a hex sign, to ward off evil - good for keeping mealy bugs out of their flour goods.

Have you tried using ready-made flat pie crusts, cut into strips? I did, once, as a substitute for making my own.

I like making my own.

Jim Penny said...

You know, if they'd just say it was a hex to keep the mealy bugs down, I'd be all over it, and probably buy more. However, I think it's mostly a holier than thou kind of thing. They should remember what the Savior had to say about those peeps who made a practice of public and ostentatious prayer.

Nonetheless, I doubt my little note to them this morning will have much of an effect. Well, other than I have some family in the vicinity, and this'll give them something to cluck over at the next Home Demonstration Club meeting.

Like you, I also prefer to make my own, but my kitchen carries the name, "Pullman," and it leaves me about 12 x 18 inches in which to mess around and call it cooking.

Perhaps after I win the lottery, I can have me one of those expansive kitchens from which pots and pans hang from the ceiling. Until then, it's make do as best I can with what I have.

I don't see that there'd be any problem with using pie shells, aside from the number of shells I'd need to make a pot full. Though I tend to eat alone, and only occasionally with groups, I usually cook for the group, and then make use of the generic Gladware containers sold by Food Lion. I do this because it's cheaper than the recurring bouts of food poisoning you might recall from a few years back.

Cooking in the big pot means a half dozen meals of the same thing over the following week, and usually, that's not a problem, except when I turn ill or something. I suppose that's, partly, what the toilet and disposal are for.