About me

Monday, November 28, 2011

Organization and planning

I fear there has been a dreadful misunderstanding about the pegboard in my kitchen from which I hang some utensils. We must attend to this problem before we can advance.

It is not about organization. It is not about planning. It's about being able to see what's available when I need something that's not in my hand. Besides, all this stuff was too much for the one little drawer in my kitchen.

I work with project managers at my day job. It's a necessary evil when projects are large, somewhat complex, and numerous. It would be unfair to the peeps to just bumble along from day to day doing things as the spirit strikes, though I'm sure most of them, at least from time to time, think I organize my day according to some notion of what might be fun. Actually, they do a very good job of keeping me reminded of which something is next, and while that does not preclude the occasional time when 15 things are next, it does lend a certain balance to the day job.

Bear in mind that I do not much organize my life outside work this way. I suppose this is why it's rare that I board an airplane for leisure. I prefer to drive. Or walk. Or even stay home. And while you gasp, note that I have queued online payments for known bills through June of 2012. One hour of focus pays a dividend of six months of not having to think about it.

Of course, there is a schedule. I just don't much share it. We do things at the doing time. We go places at the going time. We read at the reading time. We eat at the eating time. We bathe when we stink. You probably get my drift. You probably also get that I, generally, live alone.

No comments: