About me

Friday, September 16, 2011

Then it would be an assignment

Diana and I have a new post up over at the moon thing.

More than once as I've described this project to other people, they've expressed surprise that Diana and I do not compare notes before the moon.  The question is always a variation on: How do you know you'll each do something that fits with the other?

I usually reply that we live in the same world.  We watch the same news.  We have a large circle of shared friends.  Well, OK, her friends and my colleagues.  They're paid to put up with me.  The thing is that we do not live in a vacuum, and neither of us lives on a fringe of reality, though I do often yearn for that.

The more important thing, and I believe this is true for us both, is that if we compare notes, if we decide what it's about ahead of time, then we don't have the creative expression we want, we need, but instead, we have an assignment.  Neither of us needs another assignment.

Call it unbridled.  Undisciplined.  A waste of good planning.  I call it a delight, and without this one delight this one moon, I'm not sure I would be retaining my rights as an American citizen, what few the gay citizens retain these days, but instead I'd be at risk to be a ward of the state, or at least the county, give the rage I felt over the insult we all endured from the elected officials, the ignorant, dumbass, sons of bitches, each of whom needs a solid whomp upside the head for not remembering the simple humanity most of us learn at our mothers' knees.

How can a citizenry that started it all, a citizenry that developed a simple document, the Halifax Resolves, that soon became the precursor to The American Declaration of Independence, a citizenry that, just seasons before, sent the colonial governor packing by moonlight, well more like torchlight, to Virginia, a citizenry that later developed a state constitution in which Article I, Section 1 states without equivocation "We hold it to be self-evident that all persons are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, the enjoyment of the fruits of their own labor, and the pursuit of happiness.", text such as you've probably heard before, how can a people descended from unimpeachable stock such as that pass a bill to put an amendment before the voters of this state by which the civil rights of a minority are determined?

Trust me: I'm calm from what I was earlier, and I need to go and recalm myself now.

No comments: