About me

Sunday, July 31, 2011

He sailed through the air with the greatest of ease

It's not the sailing that the problem. It's that sudden stop that's the attention getter.

Here's the current profile picture from Danger's Facebook page.


It's been a week now, and I can talk about this. I think. I was cooking the figs that we'd picked earlier that day. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon, and time to start thinking about dinner, when my phone beeped with a text message. It was Danger's Facebook status update. He mentioned an ambulance, the ER, and some stitches. Not quite what a dad needs to read in a text message.

I send a text asking for details, and they came in abundance. We was mountain biking, and for the first time, decided it was too hot to wear his knee and shin guards.

Yes, he fell. The result was visible bone in the woods.

Here's the shirt he was wearing that he used to staunch the blood flow.


It doesn't look as bloody in the picture as he described.

Here's the knee.


Now, here's his knee after the bandages were applied. His sister helped select the color.


I think he liked this mess a lot better before the morphine wore off. The next night, he removed the bandage to clean up. Here's the shot his GF sent me.


Ain't it purty?

So while cleaning the knee, he pulls out a souvenir.


You see that little dark spot? That's some gravel he brought home. I suppose if there's an upside to this mess, it's that no one will need to remind him to wear those pads again.

2 comments:

The Crow said...

Doesn't you gut cringe when you see that? Mine does, and he isn't even my kid!

Jim Penny said...

Oh, yes. I have to divorce myself from those thoughts lest I become dysfunctional.