About me

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Color in the city

I'm on a bit of summer vacay here, and that means I've about forgotten what day it is. Now, that's not a bad thing, and actually, it's a very good thing. Today, to help with forgetting, I stepped up to the J.C. Raulston Arboretum. It's always good for a surprise.

Today's surprise came in the form of color trials. I have no idea what this is about, and I have little interest in learning. That means I ignored the signs, and admired the beauty.

First, a look to the right.


And then a look to the left.


Off in the distance, and yes, to the center, we have Tara, my high rise trailer house. I live toward the tippy top.


Yep, that one included a little zoom. And not to worry. My view is to the other side where the top of the Super Kmart holds forth. AND AND AND, there's a murder of crows that visit there on occasion.


I normally don't get all that excited about petunias. They become straggly and ugly after a few summer storms. I see, now, that's because people don't plant them sufficiently thick. Take a gander at these test plots.

Even the white ones look good.



And then


followed by this.



You can't beat those petunias with a stick, and you know, I just don't think that phrase has much life left as a description of a superlative. The world and the languages therein do change.

And that was that. The place was crawling with little old ladies in wide brim straw hats, and they had the look of either being about to mulch me or put me to work. It has long been determined that my hands to not fit gardening tools, and I skedaddled before things got out of hand.

2 comments:

The Crow said...

Beautiful mounds of petunias, aren't they. Does their aroma overwhelm at that concentration of blooms?

Jim Penny said...

Well, there was a breeze blowing, and it was about 9 A.M., which all means I missed any odor there might have been. I can report that the bees were, apparently, otherwise occupied, and the petunias were left unbeesniffed.