About me

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Flowers for Mama

It's been a relatively dark several days, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, so I went out on a second walk about today. It's Mother's Day if you missed it.

I found myself wondering how many of the moms at Oak Grove were remembered today, or at least in the last few days. As I approached, I had the sinking feeling no one remembered.

Fortunately for my mood, I was wrong.

Mostly, the cemetery was as I left it. It is reasonable to expect human memory to fade after a century, and that was, indeed, the case here.

But there were exceptions. Some people still remember.

One set of graves was even lightly landscaped, with one exception, leaving me to wonder why the one was left unraked though the family name was shared with the rest. There might be a story there one day.

I doubt seeing the collection of fresh artificial flowers did much to lighten my mood, but I did smile over the one with live plants freshly set. Do you suppose the caretaker will also smile?

Sent from a mobile device

No comments: