About me

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Fice Dog

The question arose regarding the nature of the Fice dog after I used a colloquial phrase during my work last weekend: Like a fice dog on a snake.

That's the way I grew up hearing the name of this odd bread of small ill-tempered dog. Faulkner wrote it as "Fyce" in The Bear, a center-piece section of Go Down, Moses.

It turns out that the bred is real, if spelled differently, and a product of the southern United States. I had no idea, and here at the tender age of 57, I stand a small bit more educated.

The link is here. The Wiki article needs more citation, and I'll speak with Lester regarding a few details to add. Now, what we'll do for written references is another matter that I doubt we address, unless I write them here after the conversations. Lester doesn't write.

Dictionary.com (here) uses a definition that seems far more appropriate: "a nervous belligerent little mongrel dog"

And of course, fancy people must become involved, and we have the formal breed. Someone needs to tell these people that their fice dogs are TOO BIG!

Meanwhile, Pauley Perrette lives with a rescued fice. Here's the picture for as long as TwitPic allows. He seems about right. She says he's a chihuahua and rat terrier mix. Let me be clear: The dog is a fice dog.

No comments: