About me

Thursday, June 3, 2010

In lieu of a house guest, I visited Ava Gardner

So I was expecting company, but that appears to have fallen apart, and I decided to explore my alone by visiting Smithfield.

And I can say I have no reason yet to move there.

I reached the cemetery where Ava is buried towards 2. It was hot. I followed the signs right to her.



With a turn or two, I was there.



So why visit Ava?



It was not to explore the mystery of the blue egg.

I've known about Ava since I can remember. My mother made sure I knew about her. I often wondered about those stories of the girl from Brogden. Why did Mama want me to know about Ava Gardner?

Mama was reared not a stone's throw away.

In retrospect, I believe Mama wanted me to know there was a big world out there, and that some of the people whose feet were sandy from days in the field actually made it out and away.

I visited a few other people while there, and then noodled on to the museum.



That Smithfield has a historical district is interesting. That a veritable font of hate, bigotry, and ignorance resides in a law office not one block away saddens me.

The NC legislature is a lesser place for it. But back to the beauty that is Ava's life.

Without doubt, she is timeless.



This is one of the several pictures on the outside wall.

Opening the door cost me $6. In retrospect, the money was well spent.



I started with a brief documentary about Ava. It was well done with much of the narrative by Doris Cannon, someone who I've long felt carried more than a passing resemblance to Ava.

Doris is also a talented writer.

My big take away from the film was Ava's first marriage. Think Mickey Rooney.

I never knew he was so young.



It was apparent from the get-go that he was far out of his league with Ava.

So was Howard Hughes.



There must be something in the water that gives these Johnston County women those iron wills.

The museum is filled with memorabilia. You want to go.

You'll see how all that sand produced a timeless beauty and soul that finally blossomed on another continent.

Is there a hint here for me?

And when you go, remember that the museum is located in the building that used to be the Rose's dime store where I spent countless hours downstairs gazing upon the fishing tackle I couldn't afford, always settling for one lure or roll of line each month or so, only to return the next week to dream again.

There's also the library next door where I spent every Saturday of my life once I could drive.

Have fun, and add this one to your Blockbuster queue.


Then drive down Brogden road to see where Steel Magnolias should have been filmed.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

1 comment:

JohnstonCoArts said...

Jim, you were in and out so quickly yesterday! I would have guessed that you didn't like it, but I'm glad that you did. Thanks for the great post on the Museum and be sure to recommend us to everyone you know! - Jessica Meadows Hammett, Executive Director, Ava Gardner Museum, http://www.avagardner.org