About me

Saturday, May 29, 2010

My daddy's nanner sammich

Here on this long weekend with back-to-back war documentaries on the History Channel, I find myself remembering one of the soldiers who fought at the Bulge.

My father, the man whose DNA and, likely, emotional baggage, I continue to carry.

I like to think that I've gotten over the most of that, just as somehow I survived being reared a Free Will Baptist.

A jury might rule otherwise.

With this in mind, I wanted to share his manner of making a bannanna sandwich.

Find a nanner



Peel it and put it on a plate



Do not mock the naked nanner. It will soon be a part of you.

Smoosh the nanner with a fork.



Find the mayonaise.



Use the fork to put a blob of mayo on the smooshed nanner.



Mix it all together.



Now find the bread



Put four slices on the plate.



Put smooshed nanner and mayo on two slices.



My daddy stopped here. Closed the sammiches. And chowed down with a glass of sweet tea.

As you know, I cannot leave well enough alone.

Find the rolled oats.



Sprinkle oats on the nanner smoosh.



Now, you can eat.

I'll have a beer instead of sweet tea.

BTW, Daddy ate slimy oatmeal every morning of his life. That's likely one reason that I rarely touch the mess. Besides, the leftovers always gave the cats the squirts.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

2 comments:

The Crow said...

What?! No peanut butter?

I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches, or peanut butter and ham, or banana with mayo sandwiches...just can't do the mayo with the peanut butter thing, and rolled oats is for cookies. I like the Irish steel cut oats for breakfast - not slimy, but chewy and nutty-flavored.

:)

Jim Penny said...

I don't believe I ever saw the paternal even consider eating peanut butter. Don't know why he didn't.

My brother will mix up the PB with the smooshed nanner. Raised his daughter on that. Probably explains quite a lot.