About me

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hate group Westboro Baptist Church to picket lesbian teen Constance McMillen's graduation

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/04/28/2010-04-28_hate_group_westboro_baptist_church_to_picket_lesbian_teen_constance_mcmillens_gr.html



The Pic: Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba County Agricultural High School, is being targeted by a hate group that plans to picket at her graduation.

The Buzz: A Mississippi lesbian who was denied the chance to go to her school's prom is now being targeted by a Kansas-based hate group - and it is going to protest at her graduation. The Westboro Baptist Church, which has drawn jeers for picketing at soldiers' funerals and on Tuesday cheered the deaths of 12 tornado victims in Mississippi, said in a statement last weekend that they will be on hand for Constance McMillen's high school graduation ceremony, the Advocate reported.

The Reason: "[We] will picket the graduation of Itawamba Agricultural High School to remind the parents, teachers and students of this nation that God said 'Thou shall not lie with mankind, as with womankind, it is abomination,'" the group declared.


And here we have evidence sufficient to know that Christianity as we know it is a fiction. Otherwise, Phelps et al would be on the receiving end of a vigorous smiting.

Location:Perimeter Park Dr,Morrisville,United States

5 comments:

VeggieAmanda said...

They are a sick group of people. In the end, they will find out they were wrong. It might take death and a trip to the pearly gates to show them. I am not saying I am right, but then again, I am not going around telling other people how to live.

A HS graduation is very important for some people and how dare they take the specialness of that day away from her and her family. Shame on them!

Diane Schabinger said...

Well, it's wrong to stereotype any group based on a small sub set.

So please don't lump all Christians with this confused family that calls itself a church. (Last I heard this "church" was a congregation of 11 or so all close family members.)

I know stereotyping happens all the time.. and it's wrong when it's applied to gays, straights, moms, dads, teens, whatever. Bell curves exist in everything.

But I'm Christian and I don't agree with the actions of this group. Evidently they missed the verses about it's not our job to judge. I know a lot of folks seemed to miss that verse. They shouldn't be making a fuss at anyone's funeral, or graduation or anything else. I just pray they will see the error of their ways and stop causing pain and spreading strife. Where there is strife, there is confusion and every evil work. Guess they missed that verse too. Anyway, I have strong feelings about a lot of issues, but I know I am responsible for me - and the beam in my eye - not the mote in anyone's elses. If everyone just focused on doing the best their "own self" could do and not poke into other people's business - we'd all be a lot better off right now.

So I'm not angry with you at all - I love you for ever and always and fully expect to see you in heaven someday - looking surprised perhaps - but I do expect to see you there... And I never get upset with your posts - but Westboro is not a good representation of Christ or Christians. Maybe they think they are right.. but we are human - we can all miss it - some are just a lot louder about their errors than others..

imho
Oh- and my great-nephew about age 4used the phrase "my own self" when he said something ugly to his mother - maybe calling her a dummy head or something and when she said "Are you talking to me?" the boy was wise enough to reply, "No, I was talking to my own self."

Diane Schabinger said...

Oh- and Christianity isn't fiction.. we are here to learn to love others and take care of ourselves, each other and the planet - we just aren't doing a very good job of it. God's mercy is why the whole place isn't just a smoldering greasy spot - but because judgement hasn't happened exactly where we think it should as we think it should - doesn't mean it won't happen. We're just all getting more chances to try to do better.. and we surely need it..

again - imho

Jim Penny said...

I met this crowd once in DC by the National Mall. I was at the end of a business trip that occurred just across the street. I scooted through the traffic to thank them for exercising their freedom of speech, and then suggested they might want to go wash those hands lest they catch a big ol' case of homo disease.

The looks were priceless!

VeggieAmanda said...

Jim- I wish I could have been there to see that exchange!

Diane- I hate sometimes even calling myself a Christian because of the radicals out there that do stuff like this. I am pretty sure that if Jesus were walking the earth now, he would not be involved in such ridiculous protests with this group. I wish we could have a separate name for us open-minded Christians.