About me

Friday, April 9, 2010

Forgotten lives

We don't have to look too far back in this world to find the collective memory foggy, false, or failed.

Case in point...

I went out to unwind my long path. We wouldn't want my walking to crank the City of Raleigh so taut that it rips from the earth and spins its way off the planet only to settle somewhere with worse traffic and air quality.

As is common when looking at something familiar from a different perspective, I saw a something new and very old.



I was walking on the north side of Western Blvd. headed east, just east of the 440 overpass. Just east by a very few steps and right in the middle of the erstwhile cloverleaf.

Not so very long ago, someone lived there. I was looking at the metal pole to which they tied the garbage can, the lid still attached.

Looking farther, I saw where the yard and house might have been. Along the perimeter were larger than normal trees.

I do not think that I've ever laid eyes on a Bradford Pear this large.



Usually, Cousin Lulu's October Blows, what you would call a hurricane, destroy these grafted aberrations, but not these.


What accounts for the graft holding, not rotting as the new ones do now?



If I had a metal detector, I might spend some time there looking for treasures. Not the gold and silver kind, but the lost and loved toys kind.

We could probably go down town and learn whose life was ruined by the construction of 440 and the widening of Western, but I suspect we will never find the living soul who remembers the lives and loves that evolved in that little spit of land that now only serves to hold the world together.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

No comments: