About me

Friday, April 2, 2010

Black beans, ham, and rice

Yep, we're making a late supper.

I started the Boston butt in the big pot with some olive oil.



Then I opened, drained, and rinsed a can of black beans.



Yes, I know the juice is the best part, but the black liquid will stain the rices. Think purple rice.

I'm in no mood for purple rice.

Next, we found an onion. A yellow one.



Peeled and chopped it. Then it goes in the bowl with the beans.



Along with a big spoonfull of salt. Yes, I know, but if it doesn't taste good, what's the point?

Now, turn the chunk of Boston butt.



Replace the lid and let the otherside cook.

I want the grease from the ham in the pot. I'll remove the most of it tomorrow when it has cooled in the fridge.

This way, there will be enough grease to make it taste right, but not so much as to cause a nuclear explosion with the olive oil.

Now, the ham comes out.



And the beans and onion go in. Along with more water.



Add a splash of olive oil.



And a generous shake of black pepper.



Chop the Boston butt.



Add the ham to the pot, and then bring it to a boil.

This looks about right.



Dump in the rices. Bring it back to a boil. Cut off the burner. Find a snack to see you through the next 45 minutes.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

No comments: