About me

Thursday, December 17, 2009

OMG! Did the earth just move?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8413128.stm

Yes, and go check the Twitterverse.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) scans the twitterverse looking for spikes in activity when it detects an earthquake to determine what kind of event the people in that area experienced. Among other things, there is the expectation that the increased information can better inform first responders as they enter the affected area.

Of course, sifting the twitterverse turns up a lot of unimportant information. However, we have filters to reduce the effect of the noise, just as people filter what they hear at a party so they can focus on the person in front of them.

Smart companies also do this, some more effectively than others. Most of the airlines continually monitor tweets looking for evidence of a problem with the intention of reducing the effect if the problem quickly if possible.

If the problem is not immediately solvable, the increased information surely improves long-term planning that might avoid repeating such problems later.

And trust me, when I encounter a problem in an airport, it hits the twitterverse quickly. Does my tweeting help? So far, I have no idea. I like to think that it does in some manner. However, all I know for now is that I feel better for the venting, and that's probably worth more than anything else at least for now.

So folks, the next time you feel the earth move, give us a tweet!


-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard.

No comments: