About me

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Naval oranges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)

While hunting and gathering this afternoon in preparation for the ranger cookie baking, I discovered that Food Lion had a twofer on naval oranges. Yeah, I got me some.

Then I found myself thinking that the other branches of the service should have their own oranges too.

With a little reading, I discovered that the name should use an "e," not an "a." Navel oranges. Like bellybutton oranges.

Yeah, I already knew that. I just didn't remember it at the time.

It turns out that the navel part of the navel orange is an undeveloped conjoined twin. The navel orange tree is also a sterile mutant that was discovered some over a hundred years ago. All navel orange trees today are clones from that original tree. Think cuttings.

That means all those navel orange trees are each over 100 years old. (A plant cutting retains the age of the original plant.)

And now I realize that there are probably better things I could be doing with my Saturday night. Like laundry, maybe, but it's a little late now, and the laundry will have to wait until Sunday morning.

Just imagine the orphaned undies waiting for me!



-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

No comments: