About me

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mama goes to a dirty movie

On toward 1980, my parents reunited for what would be a brief season. It was Saturday evening. I was sitting on the front porch resting in the dusk after a long week of working on Harold Ray and Ina Ruth's tobacco farm.

The old storm door creeked open, and out stepped my parents, all dressed up. Daddy's Mennen aftershave preceeded him.

Mama announced with a gleam in her eye that they were going to a dirty movie, the one on Highway 70 south of Raleigh. She also giggled and held my daddy's arm as they walked to the car in the driveway.

I sat there a bit off center with that news, and I wondered why they told me which one. Were they worried that I might accidently show up?

The evening progressed. I remained on the porch. This was Saturday evening. After leaving to attend school in Chapel Hill, I had lost touch with most of the people from my high school. Besides, most of them had formed couples, some had married, and I saw no reason to attempt to penetrate that veneer.

More to the point, working the week in tobacco leaves a body tired.

Maybe an hour and a half after dark, my patents pulled into the yard. They had returned far earlier than I expected.

They stepped out of the car and walked to the door separately where Mama announced that the movie had made her sick.




-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

No comments: