About me

Monday, December 7, 2009

Loneliness

Loneliness spreads in social networks http://bit.ly/5zDUaP

This is an interesting and perhaps useful piece of social science, if not psychological, research. I think I might need to read the book.

The study is about how loneliness spread through a community. It also considers the spread of happiness, citing how the two are both similar and different in their manners of spreading through social networks.

Yes, we even have a discussion the three degrees of separation.

Of particular interest to me, was the observation that a person does not have to be alone to be lonely. In fact, just the reverse is true.

I concur completely. There is a large part of me that would find solitary confinement quite the joy. With a few good books, I could go quite a while. I almost volunteered for duty at the South Pole back in the mid-70s, knowing full-well that the 6 to 9 month cycle of isolation would be very unlikely to be any problem at all.

Of course, I'd likely have been conversant in penguin before it was over.

With all that said, I can tell you that my loneliest moments have been when I'm out with a group of couples. Those are the most punishing times, and the most difficult to get over. Generally, it would be better for me to just stay home, or perhaps just go out alone, than to be the lone fellow in a gaggle of couples.

Bear that in mind the next time you invite me out as part of a group of couples. If I decline, it's not you. It's me knowing me.

Now, I wonder what that book might cost.


-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard.

Location:Westgrove St,Raleigh,United States

1 comment:

Diana said...

That's why you should go out with us girls when we invite you for a drinky poo. You would have fun. :) I still think you need to do karaoke with us sometime. I know you have the voice for it.