About me

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Giant acorn drop nears 20 years

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7191240


New York drops an apple because the city is known as the Big Apple. You can watch it on TV, along with the countdown.

I doubt that I do.

Raleigh drips an acorn. WTF? An acorn. I'm pretty much native, but I've never understood the acorn thing.

Here's what there saying: "The giant acorn is never far from its Raleigh home. The other 364 days of the year it sits on permanent display in Moore Square. The artwork was created by sculptor David Benson to celebrate the city's 1992 Bicentennial and Raleigh’s nickname: “The City of Oaks.”

Raleigh is the City of Oaks? I figured that title would go to Elon.

Nonetheless, where are the freaking oaks? They are not much around where I go. We have magnolias. We have Crepe Myrtles. We have those nasty grafted flowering little trees that bloom in spring, making it look like snow in March.

The only oaks I see are the very few that have managed to survive the destruction of relatively unfettered growth.

Maybe the older parts of town have held on to the old oaks.

More likely, the ents saw the destruction coming, and they packed up and moved elsewhere to live in peace and quiet.

I know I would if given half a chance.


-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard.

No comments: