About me

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pepé Le Pew

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepé_Le_Pew?wasRedirected=true

Years ago, I spent a season grading writing samples for a state assessment. The students had to write about their favorite cartoon character.

I read an endless stream of papers about Batman, Superman, and one Supperman. Supperman was apparently a consistent misspelling of Superman.

There were a few papers about grandmas, aunts, and mamas. No, I didn't get it either.

One boy, obviously in an advanced English class, wrote about Pepé Le Pew. Yeah, that got my attention too.

Finally at the end of four pages, I learned why. The boy wrote: Every day, we're both out there chasing that fine young _feline_.

Note: He did not use "feline."

Yes, I disturbed the decorum of the reading room as I rolled out of my chair, held my sides, and dashed to the back of the building where I howled for 30 minutes.

On the drive home, a policeman pulled me over for eratic driving. (I was still laughing.) I explained to the policeman, who sent me on my way, after we both leaned over the hood of his car for another round of uncontrollable howling.

To this day, I wonder about that boy, and what might have become of him. I suspect he's done well.

-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard. You found misspellings? Imagine that. Get over it.

No comments: