About me

Monday, November 9, 2009

Making biscuits for the potluck lunch at work

We're having a potluck lunch at work today. I threatened first to bring fried pig skins, and then some kind of stew with cabbage.

I settled on biscuits. Given my recent history with aged stews, it really wouldn't be prudent to bring one to the peeps.

So the question is how to make biscuits for the work crew. Here ya go.

We start by hunting and gathering.



This means we go to FoodLion. The one on Western Boulevard has the better scenery.

Don't forget your reusable bags.



We need flour. My grandmother used White Lily. You should too.


You really want to use lard.



And if you do, the biscuits will be better. However, using lard will mean you have to listen to it later, and such discussions are to be avoided.

More likely, you'll use something else, maybe olive oil.



Or butter.



Which is found here.



You'll also need buttermilk.



It's so popular that FoodLion is out. Be glad you know how to make your own.

You'll need my grandmother's biscuit bowl.




My grandfather carved that biscuit bowl. Show some respect. And add some paper towels because the chickens walked in it.



Alternatively, you can pick up some frozen biscuits.



They do very well, almost as good as my sainted grandmother, and certainly better than me.

Open the bags and fill up the pan.



Put the filled pan in the oven at the prescribed temp, which is substantially cooler that the 450 my mama used.

In about 30 minutes, the biscuits are done. Put them in the bowl.




Notice that my biscuit pan retained some if the biscuit bottoms. I thought is was better seasoned than that.




Put the biscuits in the backseat of the car with a towel over them.

Don't forget the butter.




Arrive at the office just as the lunch is starting. You'll be too busy to take any more pictures.



-- text tapped from a virtual keyboard. You found misspellings? Imagine that. Get over it.

No comments: