About me

Friday, October 16, 2009

Korean Ramen: Yum!

Being a long time Pastafarian, I have eaten my share of ramen. The other week we had a work thing through lunch, and I showed up with a packet of Maruchan Ramen.

I live near a university, and student food is easily found.



One of the guys from IT took note, and the next day, I found a packet of Korean Ramen in my chair.




This is going to be interesting.

I've been up close and personal with Korean cuisine for nearly thirty years, and as best I can tell, the only food of note from Korea is kim chi.

I do love me some good kim chi. However, I've long agreed with the rest of the Americans in the Tae Kwon Do classes. There's a reason all those grand masters are scowling in the school pictures.

They've never had a decent meal.

I suspect they have a similar feeling regarding our chitlins and souse meat. Speaking of which, I could get into some good souse about now.

Or maybe they reject good cooking because of the history with Japan.

OK, that's just plain snarky.

So it's a cold Friday evening. The crowd is too much to go get some fried butter at the Fair, and we're gonna have Korean Ramen for dinner.

And now I'm wishing for a large pot of kim chi. That with this beer, and I'd be one contented muffin for the evening.

The Korean ramen is about 50% bigger than the other by weight, about 25% higher in calories, but with only 10 more fat calories.

So far, so good.

A quick check of the packaging shows that the salt content of the Korean is higher.

Both claim to be two servings, but we all know that the package, whatever the size, is a single serving.

The Korean ramen is a product of Korea. Go figure. The other is made in the USA.

Let's get to cooking.

Aside from the size, the noodle looks about the same, and I remain convinced that the brick is really one long noodle.



The first difference comes in the soup powder. I typically buy chicken flavor, which is really just salt soup, but oh so yummy.

This powder appears peppery.



A quick lick of the emptied packed confirms a little pepper in the mix.

The second packet contained dried veggies. This reminds me of the noodles I brought back from Beijing.



The ensemble is now boiling in 550cc of water. Oh yeah, you know I measured that!



All done boiling, and now cooling in the bowl. Note the woeful lack of chopsticks. I have not seen my good chopsticks since I moved.

Is it even legal to munch ramen with a fork?



This is some good munching! The noodles are thicker and softer with a much better mouthfeel. The broth is indeed peppery, but not in any manner overwhelming.

So far, this is a pleasant choice for this cold evening.

I don't yet get the veggies.

All done! That was very good. There's a warm glow in my tum.

I am pleased to be touched again by His Noodly Appendage, though I still don't get the veggie things.


Posted from a mobile device

2 comments:

Diana said...

Next time try putting in an egg and some shredded cabbage. It's gooooood!

Jim Penny said...

I can see the cabbage. Should the egg be whisked or scrambled or somehow prepped first?