About me

Saturday, October 31, 2009

iPhone meets China

iPhone comes to China without key feature http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16036/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=WHY1uaD2

Interesting given that the phone is probably made in China in the first place.

The prat of this article is that the iPhone sold by a second tier carrier in China lacks WiFi capability.

Oh, boo hoo.

The thing is that I've always thought of WiFi as a nod in the US to AT&T's poor data network coverage. It might be. I connect to WiFi whenever possible because it's faster.

When outside the US, I connect to WiFi so my phone actually works. The international data roaming charges hurt my feelings.

However, China promotes an alternative to WiFi, which is unfortunately myopic on the part of the Chinese.

That Apple did not replace the iPhone's WiFi feature to work with China's standard is immently interesting, given Apple's eagerness to hamstring the American iPhone to protect AT&T's data network.

One might suppose that Apple doesn't worry so much in China, but I suspect the real truth is that the second tier carrier in China already has a data network capable of supporting the iPhone.

In my three visits to that entrancing country, it was apparent that cell capability there leads American by easily a decade.


-- Posted from a mobile device

No comments: