About me

Friday, October 23, 2009

A good thing with a side of distasteful

http://bit.ly/1PbnoF HuffPost - Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections To Gays

I would point out that the State of North Carolina lead the Feds in this area by a good four months, at least in the protection of GLBTQ children in the schools.

Oh, to have had that protection some 49 years ago.

Anyhow, the COTUS finally passed the Mathew Shepard act. Now, when Sheriff Bubba decides that my queer ass needed kicking, the FBI will beg to differ.

Bear in mind that my queer ass will still be kicked.

Nonetheless...

You might think from all the talk that the bill passed fair and square. That would not be true.

The bill was attached to military funding where there was little doubt of passage. A few over a dozen conservative senators voted nay, and they will have some 'splainin' to do about not supporting soldiers in the next election.

One proud dem voted nay because he couldn't support a war even if it did mean not supporting hate crime legislation.

I have to feel that man's pain as he weighed his feelings.

What we have here is the state of modern politics, which has far evolved from that "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours" that we learned about way back when it was acceptable sport to kick my ass during recess.

I am glad that the troops got some money and that the queers are now additionally protected in federal legislation.

I am just very uncomfortable on how we got here. It is, however, the way this game is now played, and likely one additional reason that I'm unlikely to every be your congressional representative.



-- Posted from a mobile device

No comments: