About me

Friday, October 2, 2009

Ents on the grassy knoll

There's a grassy knoll by the Shell station where I get my roller dogs and fountain Diet Cokes. Trees surround the edges of the knoll. About a half dozen appear to be original equipment.

Ancient oaks.

This one appears to be the oldest, right down to having a magnolia sprouting in the decaying part of the trunk. Given the invasive root systems of magnolias, it would be interesting to see how this one grows.

I doubt we'll ever have that opportunity. Someone with a chainsaw will come around to develop the area. It would be better if he didn't.

Perhaps one darkened evening of a new moon, these old trees will walk over to the arb, and put down roots there.



-- Posted from a mobile device

5 comments:

CDominique said...

are you a forester? I love nature posts. I really appreciate this and your reverence for this landmark of a tree.

Jim Penny said...

No, I'm a type of statistician known as the psychometrician. Somewhat arcane.

TYVM! for the kind words!

The Crow said...

"Perhaps one darkened evening of a new moon, these old trees will walk over to the arb, and put down roots there."

Why, you poet, you!

Why aren't you working on the quintessential Southern novel? I hear the cadence of the best of them in your words, Jim; in the way you lay them side by side, end on end.

What you do for a living may be arcane, but the heart of who you are lies exposed in your postings for all to see.

Damn, you're good.

")

Jim Penny said...

Whoa! I might just blush now!

Diane Schabinger said...

He really should write a novel. You know you should Jimbo. Quit stalling and get to it! Time is a'wastin'!