About me

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ancient oaks

First, we'll pause for the one no longer with us. It falls bit by bit, storm by storm, supporting the ivy a little less each day and season. I suspect there's a dissertation in the wildlife living in and around that tower of ivy, bark, and wood.




Next up, we have the one by the road. You can't see the fledgling magnolia growing in the decay, and while I wish the evergreen well, I do not expect it will survive the relocation to the arb during the coming new moon.

Perhaps the little magnolia is suited for a life as a bonsai. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.



Last, we have the oak by the parking lot. Many workers sit in the shade of this one as they have their lunch. This tree can probably speak Spanish now.

The smaller trees next to the parking lot are a part of the landscaping, complete with red wood chip mulch. I bear those maples no ill will, but they do not an improvement make over the oaks. Perhaps in another century.






Posted from a mobile device

3 comments:

Diane Schabinger said...

I think it is largely due to the natural story teller in you and also that you see more than the normal person does in the world around you - but more than any other individual I've ever known, you have the ability to go from point A to B and see so many interesting things that the rest of us don't notice. If we do notice, we tend to dismiss it as nothing of note. You see things and have a story for them. I imagine it was highly entertaining for your children.

To this day, some 25 or so years since I last heard it - when I see someone in a rush, I hear Jim Penny's voice in my head saying "They should have left home sooner."

Jim Penny said...

The children required fresh bedtime stories every night. Or nap. We could reread books, but the stories had to be new. As you might expect, having a barn full of cats growing up contributed to those tales, especially those from Wimple and Nooker. Of course, Little Orangie, the orange tabby, was always getting in a pickle.

Anywho, thanks for the kind words. I just wish I could take them to the bank. SOme spare change would be good about now.

Diane Schabinger said...

Write some of those stories up - and I bet you'd find someone happy to publish them. If you want illustrations for your cat tales .. let me know..