About me

Saturday, September 5, 2009

An unusual response

If you're indigent, begging on the street, I'm probably not the person you want to approach unless you enjoy abject ostracism. As a general rule, I don't believe the handouts do much to help. More to the point, I don't often carry enough cash to help anyone.

Yesterday was different, and it left me thinking.

I was at the local Shell station for a fountain Diet Coke and a roller dog. Stepping out, I noticed a quietly distraught woman standing between the cigarette receptical and the propane tank exchange stand.

Yeah, I wouldn't put those two so close either.

As I passed the woman, I decided she must be planning to rob the store. She was very nervous. Several steps later, I heard a female voice call out a shaky "sir?"

I turned and she asked for help. She was trying to get home in Carrboro. When I asked how much, she said a couple of gallons. I had her pull her car to the first pump, went inside to give the clerk ten bucks, stepped out to tell her, and then went on my way with a thank you.

I think she was real. She didn't present as a con artist, and asking for a couple of gallons as though the act was about to kill her made her seem legitimate. Besides, she was driving a newish minivan.

So I'm ten dollars poorer. I wasn't carrying plastic at the time. She left headed in the right direction to be going to Carrboro. I hope she got there.



-- Posted from a mobile device

1 comment:

Diana said...

I think that counts for Operation NICE. :)